Where Am I Going? #2

I’ve been going back and forth with how I feel about the MSPICED internship so far. In the beginning, I was extremely excited to meet new people also involved in research and to learn from many brilliant minds in the Conceptual Development lab about furthering one’s career in this field. After getting used to the schedule and practicing how to run the study I’m working on, I am at a standstill for where I want to go from here. I started to think ,”Is this really what I want to do with the rest of my life?”, and I couldn’t clearly answer like I did a few weeks earlier. The research process of developing a research proposal, working on the methods, ethics, procedure, and finally recruiting participants is a long but worthwhile experience once the results are produced. However, since this is the lab I worked with for the past year and a half, I’m not sure yet if it’s because it’s time to move on to a new research opportunity or that I’m just not thrilled about research anymore. I want to use the rest of this internship to learn as much as I can about research and what my role can be like as a member of a lab.

More specifically about the study though, we are about halfway through with collecting data and are starting to transcribe and code the information so it can be quantified and organized into a graph. Working with children has been a refreshing change of pace than being surrounded by adults all day and so there is a lot of laughter during my times in the lab and the Ann Arbor Hands On Museum where we recruit more children participants. I think that’s why I still want to continue working on this field of psychological research because learning about the way children think and process information is fascinating and exciting. I hope with the results we do produce after this summer, the world will learn even a bit more about the wonderful minds of kids.

One thought on “Where Am I Going? #2

Hey Arim! Hope things get better with your internship. I hope you figure out more of what you want to do through this experience. Continue to remind yourself that you will learn a lot regardless of how much you enjoy it. I’m glad you are learning more of what you like and don’t like through this internship. Will continue to keep up with your blog 🙂