End of the Internship

I have learned a lot of things over the course of this internship, from how to do photo-identification to how to spot dolphins in the field. Fortunately, I had very understanding bosses who wanted to teach me from the start. The first week was tough, trying to get over the jet lag and figuring out what I need to do for work. After I got the hang of things, there were new challenges which included new students coming, and even teaching new interns about what Morigenos does. Learning to be professional at work is vital as well. Building professional relationships is important then and now after the internship.

In addition to that, I have learned a lot about the Slovenian culture as well. It was different at first but I got used to it after a while, from the big lunches where we cook and gather together to the more flexible work-culture. I also understood a little more about the Italian culture now after I met so many of the Italian students. I learned some Slovenian words, and numbers while I was there. I learned about the people there and a little about their history. It was a very good experience overall.

One thought on “End of the Internship

Winny,
    Congratulations on wrapping up! It’s clear that you’ve learned a lot of content and skills from this summer, as well as learning a new culture and work environment. Looking back on the beginning, from the challenge of arrival and adjustment, your growing confidence in your work and Morigenos has been clear throughout your writing.

Could you share more about what you’ve learned about being a professional at work? And you noted the importance of professional relationships – what did you learn about your strategies in building and maintaining these?

It sounds like you grew to appreciate aspects of your work that were influenced by the Slovenian culture. I’d love to hear more about what you learned about the culture and history; how might you translate that to future experiences?

And I’m curious: What was one of your favorite experiences as an intern this summer? And how did your experience this summer shape what might come next for you? I’d love to hear more!

Thanks!
    Beth