Halfway Point | #3

Now that I’ve finished half of my internship I’m really starting to reflect on what I like and dislike about the job and being in Chicago. Overall, I love the people I work with. They’re all very nice and have been grateful for my work I’m doing which has really helped make it feel worthwhile. However, sometimes I still feel like I’m doing pretty simple things. I know it’s helpful for me to be pulling together the excel files or powerpoints for everyone here, but I do wish I was getting a better sense of the risk management side of things. I just had a meeting with my manager to discuss progress here and mentioned that to her, so hopefully things will change since they’ve all said I’ve been picking up on things faster than they would’ve expected. It’s getting to that point though where I’m really trying to figure out how I feel about the job to start thinking about whether or not I’d accept a full-time offer if given one.

I love Chicago a lot more than I thought I would’ve. I’m not usually a city person and have found that the fast paced lifestyle isn’t always for me. But the city has a lot to offer and I still haven’t seen everything yet that I want to see. I’ve realized though, mostly when my friends here are busy, that not knowing a ton of people and being away from family can be a lot harder than I anticipated. At school I’m only an hour away from home and am very close to all of my friends so being there is always fun for me. But being here has made me realize I’m not as much opposed to staying in Michigan as I thought that I would be. So as I continue onto the second half of my internship I’ve decided to really try and gain more experience in work as well as see more of Chicago.

Ally Y

Currently interning at Marsh in Chicago, IL

2 thoughts on “Halfway Point | #3

Hi Ally,

My name is Danielle and I work in the information services area of the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be reading and commenting on your blog posts for the rest of the summer!

I’ve loved reading your posts so far, it sounds like you are settling into your internship really well! That’s unfortunate that your work was off to a bit of a slow start but congratulations on successfully advocating for yourself to your supervisor so you are able to tackle more work at the company. Was there anything you found helpful in structuring that conversation with your supervisor?

It could also be helpful to try and have some more informal conversations with your coworkers to learn a bit more about what they do and how they are working with risk management. Have you been able to talk with member of your support system, maybe friends and family, about your slight homesickness? That’ll definitely be important when living in a big city like Chicago. But I’m so happy to hear that one of your goals is to explore Chicago more. What are some of the best things you’ve been able to do in the city so far?

Best wishes!

– Danielle

Hi Danielle,

My manager is very easy to talk to so the conversation was easy to jump into. It also came at a perfect time where we had to submit mid-summer progress so it was right around when it should be brought up. I also am able to talk to my coworkers easily so I may try and get a better sense of what they’re doing in their full time positions. I’ve talked to friends and family pretty regularly just so I feel like I’m still close to them. But one of my favorite things here so far has been spending time in Grant Park and walking/going for runs along Lake Michigan!