Home away from home

Well it is a rainy day in Zagreb, but from the amount of jerseys I’ve seen today, that won’t stop anyone tonight from going out and watching the soccer game tonight! I am planning to go out with Alyssa, Michelle and Petra (other interns from work) tonight to watch the game since the atmosphere is great and our apartment doesn’t have a tv anyways. Our apartment is interesting. It is dated straight from the 80s, but the shower is good and I have a balcony attached to my room, so I really can’t complain. I’m hardly there anyways due to work and going to see a new place every weekend! The biggest perk about our apartment is that it’s only a 10 minute walk to the main square and my work.

Speaking of work, I am loving it here. I am currently writing an article on successful projects in increasing media literacy, and after I get to help write a policy brief that will be submitted to the government, with my name as a contributor! Not half bad for my first internship right? It did take a couple of weeks to get use to the amount of freedom I have at work. I essentially get told what topic they want a project to be on, then its all up to me and my partner Michelle to decide what we want to write about. It is a different feeling to get to write whatever you think is the most important, and not get detailed instructions like in many of my past classes. Now that I’ve gotten use to this, it has helped me develop a lot of leadership in the sense that it is up to me to figure out how to end up with a finished project, not just complete given directions. I feel like it has helped me develop the ways and style I like to work, and what topics are interesting to me.

Below I shared a picture from our day trip to the Alps in Switzerland from Zurich, where we were the past weekend. Tomorrow I fly to Paris for my first solo trip!

One thought on “Home away from home

Kristen, it’s great to hear that you have so much creative autonomy for the articles that you write! Have they been published? Have you considered creating an online portfolio so that you can reference those articles well after you return to the United States?