Leadership

Leadership is defined as the action of leading a group of people or an organization, or the ability to do this. Since my project is pretty much a solo effort, I don’t think I am learning a whole lot about leadership necessarily, however, I feel like I am learning a lot about other things:

1. Accountability: I do not have a mentor here to keep me on track or to force me to show up everyday. I have to get myself out of bed, show up to lab, and do the work myself at a good pace so it will eventually get done.
  2. Time management: Before Ankush left, he gave me a weekly task to work on. He only provided me with 8 weeks worth of work even though I am here for 11 weeks because some things require more time and he didn’t know how long it would take me; even with the extra weeks to do the work and everything I have to do enough work each day to keep me moving along so it will get done. In addition, I am taking an online class at a community college by my house, so I have to factor in time to do the work for that with my project work.
  3. Consistency: Some days, I get to lab and feel like only watching movies on some sketchy website all day instead of making slide assemblages or reading academic papers. I have to make myself be consistent enough that I can have a day once in awhile where I don’t do much and it doesn’t affect my overall work.

Left: pic of the plate with a sample of microfossils on it.

Right: Me, loving the microscope life.