Believing in myself

I love working on the MyVoice project, but even after almost 2 years, sometimes I still feel underqualified for some of the assignments given to me. I’m responsible for reviewing the qualitative data from surveys and performing statistical analyses to discern trends and commonalities. I just finished my first year of statistically related courses, and although I’ve learned a lot about linear modelling and utilizing statistical software to perform data mapping, it takes more than two semesters of classes to effectively interpret and understand how to effectively do these processes. As a result, at times my days turn into a fast-paced, self-led course on performing tasks in R and Tableau. I am now developing a very extensive knowledge of programming and data analytics that continue to push my horizons beyond this project. Nonetheless, I still feel like an imposter, trying my hand at a job I love but for which I’m not readily qualified for.

I was introduced to the idea of “Impostor Syndrome” at a University of Michigan transfer student event, led by student leaders and an IGR team. As described by them, Impostor Syndrome is the self-doubt some people feel, despite their accomplishments, and the fear of being discovered as incompetent.

Despite my progress on the project, I still struggle with Impostor Syndrome. I have overcame numerous hurdles, learned to code and program using R and Stata, create data visualizations using Tableau and just succeed overall, still I feel as if I should be doing more. O  I’ve found great mentors in Dr. Chang and Dr. Dejonckheere, the project leaders. They never fail to ask how I’m doing and offer words of advice and encouragement, even when I think things are not going great. It is very evident that I am a valued member of the team, and that the only person that doesn’t believe in my abilities, is me. As I continue with the project, that is an area I aim to make the most improvement.

One thought on “Believing in myself

This was a really powerful post to read, Andre – thank you for what you’ve shared. Your thoughtfulness and openness about experiencing imposter syndrome resonated with me, as someone who’s also gone through seasons of feeling like there’s so much more I could know and contribute. I’m so glad you have supportive mentors who value your gifts and are coaching you in enhancing your skills. I encourage you to keep focusing on why you love the work you do and on your motivations to continue growing – willingness and energy to continue learning is an amazing strength to have and something I perceive in you.
    -Kate