Efficiency | Working For a Non-Profit #3

Efficiency is an essential part of working for a Non-Profit. Mercy-USA is good at reducing costs to maximize charitable benefits.
According to charity navigator, the administrative expenses of the organization are only 1%, while 99% of donations go directly to benefit charitable projects!
We are able to do that by finding new innovative ideas to use the available resources in each community. One of the most efficient and innovative projects that we are working on is finding new sources
of warmth for thousands of displaced Syrian families who are living in tents. Syrian families who live in tents used to burn trash, including very toxic materials, to cook and stay warm.
This was very harmful for the environment and for their  own health. So The organization implemented an innovative and Eco-friendly program to provide an alternative solution;
utilizing the waste that comes from olive oil  production, such as olive skin and pit waste, to produce warmth. It is an economical solution that also helped the environment.
The project is relatively new, and it has helped 4000 Syrian families to stay warm this year.

The current project we are working on right now is creating a space to provide homeless individuals in Detroit with shower and laundry facilities.
Lacking basic hygiene amenities could lead to serious health issues like infections and gangrene. In addition, having access to hygiene products and amenities
would alleviate some of the homeless individuals’ burdens. Collaborating with other organizations to gather resources and volunteers make projects more efficient
, so we decided to collaborate with a local church in Detroit,  St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. We are still brainstorming to find new and innovative methods to complete
our new project successfully and efficiently. I hope that I will take all these new skills with me, to benefit me in other aspects of my life, by the end of my internship.

2 thoughts on “Efficiency | Working For a Non-Profit #3

Abrar, what a great post, thank you for sharing more of the important work you are doing with Mercy-USA. I am curious, how does the olive oil waste help provide warmth? Is it an eco-friendly option to burn, or is it used in some other way?

In terms of representing these developing skills around efficiency and resourcefulness, have you given thought to how could represent that on your resume, LinkedIn, cover letter, and in interviews once you are on the hunt for your internship or job? Being able to tell our stories and highlight our strengths and skills during a job search is SUCH an important skill set. As we connected on earlier this summer, the Hub staff is definitely here for you if you want to explore that together!

Thank you for your reply! The olive pits are crushed and shaped into cubes. These cubes are burned in stoves for warmth. They are eco-friendly slow burning alternative to the toxic trash and furniture that many refugees had resorted to burning.

I would love to meet up with hub staff in the beginning of fall semester to discuss how to apply my experience to my resume and cover letter! I definitely appreciate your input and helpful tips. Thank you.