Mentor | #4

It’s not an easy time working in immigration. I enjoy the fast-paced work and being involved in something that matters deeply to me, but at the same time, there are some days where I feel burnt out.

That being said, the atmosphere here at the non-profit that I’m interning at–the National Immigration Forum–is incredibly supportive. My mentor has been really great in letting myself and the other Communications intern (also another U-M student!) get adjusted to the schedule, the terms that they use here, and the general work/skills set. She is incredibly kind and supporting, and is always responsive to our questions and gives us feedback on our work.

The Comms team as a whole are funny, compassionate, and intelligent, and it has been a joy to be working with them so far–even when we feel like we are drowning in the news cycle and feeling hopeless as to what is going on. But there will always be someone who feels the same way, or someone who is able to lift the others up. One of our favorite ways to destress (sort of) in the office: put the World Cup on in the background.

There is definitely a lot of behind-the-scenes work that non-profits do that I wasn’t very much aware of before interning here; these are some of the things that my supervisor has asked us to work on. For instance, the Forum does a lot of press calls and conferences, so the other Comms intern and I cold-call a list of journalists that we have helped put together by checking Salesforce and Cision (two websites that we use often to compile media contacts for the Comms team).

It’s been a tough couple of weeks, but I want to end this post on a semi-happier note: this photo is from when news of inhumane forced family separation at the border had reached its highest peak of media attention and national outrage.