Mentorship | #3

One of the main things I was looking to get out of this internship was mentorship. At school, it is hard to get one on one time with a professor and it is usually up to you to seek them out. Having a mentor at an internship has allowed me to have easy access to an extremely helpful resource, someone who is an industry veteran and can answer many of my questions regarding both my work as well as the software development industry.

When I first met my mentor, I was a bit disheartened to learn that he worked remote and traveled a lot. This is largely due to the nature of a consulting company, where you have to coordinate working with multiple clients at once. However, my mentor and I have been able to keep an open channel of information and communication between us, which has been greatly helpful for tracking my progress and helping me learn. We have weekly check-ins where I usually present some topic that I have been assigned to delve deeper into and understand, such as company-specific Agile practices or general software design patterns. Then we spend time talking over examples and how these topics apply to what I am doing now and will be doing in the future. It has been great to learn more about how some things covered briefly in my classes are related to the software industry and I know that this information will translate to any future jobs that I hold in this industry.

One thought on “Mentorship | #3

Hi Chris. My name is Jake Albers with the LSA Opportunity Hub. I will be reading and responding to your blogs throughout the summer. Thank you for sharing! I have read over your first 3 posts and I have some feedback.

I am glad to hear that you are settling in well at SR. The space looks amazing. The on-boarding experience can often be time consuming and seemingly tedious; but it’s all part of the process. I think it’s fantastic that SR supports the team with fun activities around the office. You can look back on your time with SR and use those fun activities as a way to gauge how much emphasis potential future employers place on work/fun balance. You are going to spend a lot of time at work throughout your career. It is vital to find a place in which you have meaningful work and some fun along the way!

The event app project seems like an amazing project for you to tackle as an intern! Challenges with Git aside; this is a great opportunity for you to take a project from start to finish; taking into consideration the challenges along the way from ideation to implementation. This experience will be useful to you both in the classroom and as you enter the workforce. Your role in creating the events app is something you can point to as a very notable experience on your resume as well. Lastly, I am glad to hear that you see your “mistake” as a learning opportunity. That is a perspective to carry with you now and into the future.

Mentorship is a critical piece for your professional development. It is exciting to learn that you have a mentor within the company. Even better to hear that the experience has helped you align classroom learning with industry practice! It can be challenging to align schedules with colleagues who are working remotely or traveling often. This is a great opportunity for you to navigate those challenges now and gain an advantage as you enter the workplace after college. As remote working is becoming more prevalent; you will certainly have to find creative ways to connect now with colleagues and mentors.

Thanks so much for sharing.