Progress in Research #2

Learning in science is truly testing, failing, adjusting, and testing again. This has been a tough lesson to grasp. Nobody expects the results to always match the hypothesis every time, in fact it’s expected that it will take multiple adjustments to find something that works. Being a college student, failure is not what we expect of ourselves, and I know that’s not what I expect from myself. Understanding that failing in research is inevitable has become very important to continue to keep thinking, revising, and repeating. I’m lucky to work with mentors that emphasize this point, whether one quick experiment didn’t turn out as planned, or a longer length project doesn’t lead to new information, they are supportive in trying the experiment again after thinking through the potential issues and changes that can be made. Through talking with my mentor, colleagues in lab, and hearing from graduate students at my programs weekly seminars, it’s clear that science isn’t something that just goes right–rather it takes critical thought, sometimes tedious repetition of work, and willingness to keep going in order to get results and even that might take years. I believe accepting this as being apart of a career in research and acknowledging that if I do decide to attend graduate school, it would be apart of my future as well.

2 thoughts on “Progress in Research #2

Hello Jessica,

I’m Jenny, a student engagement intern at the LSA Opportunity Hub and I’m excited to be following your blog posts this summer!

I’m glad that you found the internship so far valuable. With your determined mindset, I’m sure you will grow into your passion for years to come, like the colleagues around you! Is there something that you really enjoyed about the SURF program in Ann Arbor, and if you have the chance to conduct research in a different institution, where would you want to go and why?

Learning from your peers and supervisors is definitely an important value of internships. I can only imagine how many trials it take for a successful experiential outcome. Your perseverance is put to test here, but I believe you will thrive after overcoming each hurdle! We often set high expectations for ourselves and it is a great way to challenge ourselves, but sometimes, it is also okay to cut yourself some slack and know that not getting things right the first time around doesn’t mean you’re failing.

I’d love to hear about your research experience and things you’re excited to speak to! Also, if we connect another SURF student, would you be interested in having the Hub introduce you both via email? We know it can be helpful to share experiences, successes, and challenges with peers, especially with those going through similar (but also different) research/internship opportunities. Please let me know if that’s something you’d be interested in. I look forward to reading your next blogs!

Best,
    Jenny

Hi Jenny, thanks for commenting on my post! I think if I have the chance to conduct research at a different institution in the future I would definitely go for it, I’m always interested in meeting new people in a new lab and a new environment. Maybe that will be a possibility for my gap year before applying to medical school.

I would love to connect to another SURF student via email. Thanks!