Starting at WegoWise

It’s now been a couple of weeks since I started at WegoWise but I have learned a lot in this short time. I had to learn so much very quickly but I now feel very comfortable in my job and using the platform, WegoWise.

WegoWise is a startup software-as-a-service company that does utility tracking and benchmarking for multi-family housing. Clients will pay the company to put all of their accounts on our platform to be able to track their energy and water usage. This is a mission-driven company whose overall goal is sustainability. Their goal is to help property owners reduce their overall usage. I’ve learned that property owners have always thought of utility usage as an uncontrollable cost. People are interested in tracking their usage because then this cost becomes controllable.

Affordable housing is our most popular client. I have learned in trainings about real estate that in most states there are requirements for affordable housing. For example, in the state of New York, for every single apartment building that is built, 20% of that building must be rented out at an affordable rate to people that qualify for affordable housing. That means that even those really fancy apartment buildings must be offered at an affordable rate. But there are entire buildings that are uniquely offered at an affordable rate. These property owners need to find every place they can save money. This means that cutting down their utility costs could actually save them money. So they will usually get grant money to be able to pay for WegoWise and will then be able to track their usages.

It’s clear that people and companies are now starting to care about their usage which is awesome!

Tansy

Biology and Environment major at the University of Michigan. Boston --> Ann Arbor --> Piran, Slovenia. I <3 sailing, backpacking, theater, and baking.

One thought on “Starting at WegoWise

Hi Tansy!
    My name is Beth Bodiya and I am a Hub Coach at the Opportunity Hub; I will be following your blog posts this summer and can’t wait to hear how your internship goes. I can sense your enthusiasm, as you dive into the first few weeks!

Thanks for sharing more about WegoWise – what an important platform to encourage cost-saving and sustainability! Interesting reflection on the perspective that utility usage is typically an uncontrollable cost. How does WegoWise reach out to clients to challenge that thinking, and get folks on board with using the software?

I further appreciate how you’re drawing together knowledge across areas – from examining utility usage, to understanding affordable housing policies, as well as the technical aspects of the platform. Are you seeing links between your work this summer and how your academic courses tie together?

What are some of your goals for the internship this summer? I’m curious what drew you to WegoWise and what you hope to gain!

I look forward to hearing more,
    Beth