The half way point and my place in it all | #3

The world of politics, like many spaces in our society, is often dominated by men. While there is a more equitable amount of men and women my age that work in the political world, the main players are often white, old men. Thankfully with my internship, there is not a lack of women to look up to and learn from. My candidate has employed some of the strongest, smartest, and hard-working women I have met. Both the field coordinator and the communication director for the campaign are women, the communication director being my boss. They make me feel included in all aspects of the campaign and have already taught me so much. My supervisor, Kellie, has especially taught me how a little bit of confidence can go a long way. Being able to look up to her and her easy way of fitting into spaces has helped learn to be comfortable with myself. I often find it difficult to insert myself into situation that I am not completely comfortable being in. People will not take you seriously if you are not serious with yourself. I’ve come to learn that the phrase “fake it till you make it” has some truth to it. Whenever I’m nervous about knocking a door or making a call, I pretend that I am absolutely at ease with the situation and eventually, I actually am. Being able to critique yourself and admit your faults can be difficult, but it is an essential part of growing up.