All Good Things Must Come to an End | #6

As I wrap up my last week here in Sydney, I am torn. Part of me wishes this summer experience could last forever, but a big part of me is very ready to head home and be in the same time zone as my friends and family. I have been away from home for long periods of time, but never have I had a 14 hour time difference between. This is what makes it difficult to be alone in a big city, the lack of communication I have with my loved ones. But at last, after ten long weeks, I will be back in Michigan and ready to catch up on sleep. I thought my last week at work would be a bit relaxed, considering I am leaving, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I am still running around the office trying to finish up the last details of my projects and honestly, I am loving every second of it. Looking back at this summer, I learned so much about my future career field. I learned skills beyond a computer, I learned about communication and professionalism in the workplace. I also learned to  interact with important clients and respond to customers in a fast paced environment. My manager said this was a learning experience for him as well. He had never been in charge of an intern before and he told me he learned a lot from me as well which made me feel accomplished. I made a few connections in my future profession that I hope to keep in contact with. As for me, I have reinforced my desire to work in operations in the healthcare industry and I now have a solid background for recruiting season in the fall. Australia is a beautiful place. Whether I was in a busy downtown market in Sydney, on a train to work, or hiking up the coast, there was rarely a dull moment. That best part of it was that I got to experience this with fellow wolverines. Now, lets get through this 16 hour and 4 hour flight back home and sleep away the jet lag. I am ready!

One thought on “All Good Things Must Come to an End | #6

I am so glad to hear about how positive your experience was, Erica! It sounds like you really enjoyed your time and got a lot of value out of this internship and have some next steps already like keeping in contact with your new network. As you think about preparing for the Fall recruiting season that you mentioned, don’t hesitate to come in to the LSA Opportunity Hub to discuss next steps, how to talk about your internship experience in a resume or cover letter, etc.

I have really enjoyed following your experience this summer. I do want to acknowledge that as this is your 6th blog post, you have now met your blogging requirement. Of course, you are more than welcome to continue to blog if you have things you want to reflect on, and I will continue to read and respond to them, but you are not required to.

Maggie