Leadership, #4

Even when I was younger, whenever I’m in situations where I’m doing group work I always take on a leadership role. I’m always the person willing to facilitate conversations, offer new ideas, and try to get other group members involved. Very rarely, if ever, have I been the group member who takes a back seat and  just lets other people talk. With this in mind, I’ve realized through this internship that being a leader doesn’t necessarily mean you always have to take on a super active role. Sometimes what a group needs is someone who is paying attention to the details, taking notes, someone who remembers what other group members have said.

Additionally, this internship has taught me that it’s okay not to take a leadership position sometimes. For example, a major part of my internship is planning/ facilitating camps geared for younger kids. As someone who has literally never attended a camp, and never facilitated at a camp until internship, I was in no position to tell other group members what I think camp should look like. In this situation, I had to sit back and listen to my group members. It would do no good for me to speak with no past experience. As a result, I was kind of… uncomfortable? It was weird taking such a passive role for the first time in my life, in a group project. That being said, I learned a lot from taking this passive role.

One thought on “Leadership, #4

Alexandra,

Thanks for submitting this entry on your reflections on leadership – it was a really interesting read!

I love that your ideas on leadership and what it can look like are being challenged. We are conditioned to think that leadership is only something that lives at the top of organizations, and that the loudest person or the one that’s at the front of the room giving directions are the “leaders”. Quite often, the ones we look up to and model our work after are not the ones who are in these positions, but rather the people we trust, respect, and the ones whose values manifest in their everyday actions. The fact that you saw an area of deficit in yourself (Not having experience with camps) and you gave another person the chance to flex their expertise was an act of leadership.

Armed with this new experience, how do you see your own leadership style changing? Do you see more opportunities to take on a more empowering role as a leader rather than putting it on yourself to facilitate and run things? I’m looking forward to seeing how this experience will shape your approach moving forward!

-Josh