The Public Interest Network | #1

This summer, I am interning at The Public Interest Network in Washington, D.C. I am interning with the recruitment department, and my primary responsibilities are to analyze their recruitment web and ad data to find trends, and to keep applicants moving through the recruitment process. After a couple weeks of getting trained, I will have full autonomy over my primary responsibilities. This means that I will be completely in charge of analyzing data and setting up and executing a strategy.

To provide some background, The Public Interest Network is the head organization that runs other organizations that are focused on advocating for progressive social change. My analysis and strategies will help hire people that can help us make a difference. This work that is at the intersection of public service and technology is exactly the kind of social justice work I want to do in my future career.

In the Fall of 2017, I transferred to LSA from the College of Engineering because I realized I wanted a diverse education that taught a more thoughtful and humanized approach to solving problems. I am now majoring in political science because I want to learn about policies and strategies that help people, and I am also minoring in computer science because I want to create tools to implement those strategies. For the past two semesters in LSA, I have been immersed in classes that have made me more conscientious about my role in helping others. During the school year, I translated my education into work helping expand voting rights. Now during the summer, this internship will give me hands on experience applying concepts I have learned from both political science and computer science. Because I will be responsible for implementing a recruitment strategy from data I analyze, I will have the opportunity to put my computer science skills to use. Even better, though, is that the strategy I set will directly help the organization have a better shot at helping people.

One thought on “The Public Interest Network | #1

Hi Camron! My name is Maggie Davidson and I am a Data and Systems Analyst at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I, along with Hub Intern Vishal, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!