The Start | #1

To preface this post, this isn’t the start of the internship… that was four weeks ago. Instead, I want to tell you about HOW I started.

I started my internship at Greater New York Hospital Association exactly one month ago, after I found the opportunity through a youth employment program. Business Strategy? Consulting? Sales? Sign me up. Everything about the internship was appealing to me: the job description, the company, the location, and even the internship timeline. After realizing this past year that I enjoy the aspects of a consulting career, this business internship seemed amazing. For me, this internship would integrate my past experiences in customer service, business, healthcare, and non-profits, to create a stepping stone into the corporate 9 to 5 life.

That first morning, I woke up to take the subway, looking at a once familiar neighborhood with fresh eyes. Subway cars were crowded, traffic was terrible, but it all came together to create the hustle and bustle of New York City. Walking into the conference room, the first thing I noticed was the amazing view of the Hudson River and even the Empire State Building. (I, of course, had to take an awkward panoramic photo…with my reflection.) I wasn’t sure what to expect. Today was the day I would be finding out which team I would be on, and meeting my fellow interns, my supervisors, and the employees. Regardless of what my eight weeks at this place would entail, I know I will be learning a lot.

I hope that this internship experience will teach me more professional skills and give me an insight into what a corporate job would be like. As emphasized many times during my orientation, I hope to meet the wonderful people who make up the organization. The biggest goal for this internship for me would be to make the most out of it. Whether it’s striking up a conversation with the other interns, meeting the staff in each department, or researching the company and industry itself, I plan on taking more initiative to learn about my surrounding. The numerous opportunities that this internship would present come in the form of people and knowledge, but in getting there I foresee several challenges. I haven’t had any experience in the healthcare industry, especially working in relation to hospitals, but that is just something more for me to learn from.

4 thoughts on “The Start | #1

Angie,

My name is Josh Lee, and I am one of the coaches in the LSA Opportunity Hub. Myself and one of the Hub Interns will be reading and commenting on your blog. Thank you for this initial post! It sounds like you have a good idea of what sorts of opportunities you would like from your internship, so I am really looking forward to reading about your experience this summer – I hope it is a fulfilling and rewarding one!

-Josh

Hi Josh!

Thank you for stopping by and commenting! Glad to have you on board this internship experience with me. I hope so too, thanks!

– Angie

Hi Angie! My name is Shaina and I’m an intern at the Hub. Thank you so much for sharing about the beginning of this exciting experience! It sounds like you found an internship that meets all of your passions which is incredible. Realizing there will be challenges is important as it is a great way to learn about the industry with the help of your fellow colleagues and supervisors. Have you considered what strategies you might implement to meet these challenges? A great consideration would be to discuss this with others as it sounds like the support of your colleagues will be an amazing networking opportunity this summer! And I love that you see this internship as a stepping stone to your future career, and I’d be curious to know if this is a company you would want to work for in the future. I’m excited to continue reading about your amazing experience with Greater New York Hospital Association!

Hi Shaina!

Thank you for reading about my internship experience. I absolutely agree with what you said about challenges! My strategy would just be to take it one step at a time. I’ve found it very helpful to reach out to other interns in the program, my mentor, and the many helpful people here when I do need to beat these challenges. As I’m still beginning to figure out my career path, working with this company in the future is definitely a possibility! I’m hoping to bring in and work on more from a consulting side as a career though. Thanks again!

– Angie