How this internship came to be | #1

I’m a little behind in making these blog posts, but I think I can catch up. Starting in the first week of June, I began my internship at PRG Detroit. Well, we’re actually located in Royal Oak. PRG is short for Production Resource Group and our office specializes in Services. I didn’t not know any of this before the first day of my internship. I didn’t even really know what I was signing up for when I submitted my resume.

Starting in February, I was researching different positions, drafting cover letters, and editing my resume trying to get an internship. It was honestly very stressful and disheartening every rejection I got. As weeks passed with everyone around me talking about their internships and their exciting plans for the summer, I felt even worse, until I received an email from my boss at one of my jobs on campus. During the school year, I work in the Electrical Shop for University Productions. My boss, Mark Berg, had received an email from someone he knew, from working in various theaters and productions around Michigan, looking for someone interested in Production Management to intern at their office.

I knew about Production Management, and it was something I was interested in, especially because as a member of MUSKET, the university’s largest student run musical theatre group on campus, I would be doing a lot of production management in the fall. And I knew about PRG abstractly. A coworker in the shop had done an internship this past summer with them in Las Vegas. However, unlike Detroit focusing on Services, PRG Las Vegas was a depot and focused on equipment. So, although the same company, ultimately different branches.

Going into this internship, I approached it how I approach many situations, with an open mind and willing to go with the flow. I knew I would eventually figure out what exactly they did here, and ultimately, I hoped this experience would help me better understand Production Management, which deals mainly in organization, pre-planning, and problem solving, so that I would be a better Production Manager. Even though going in I was very anxious, I knew this was going to be a good experience because Mark Berg led me to it.

One thought on “How this internship came to be | #1

Thank you for sharing your experience, Emily.

I’m Samantha Hegeman, and I work in the Opportunity Hub. I will be following your blog posts and look forward to hearing about your internship at Production Resource Group.

I understand how worrisome it can be to put in resume after resume. I’m happy you found an opportunity — and one that aligns with your interests at that! I’m really impressed by how you decided to approach this opportunity. Being open-minded and willing to learn will be so important as you continue with PRG Detroit and beyond.