Reflection | #6

Now that my time at Brilliant Detroit has come to a close, I realize how much I enjoyed working there. These past two months truly flew by. When I said my goodbyes this week, I felt as if I had only been there for a week or so, and I couldn’t believe that it had already been two months since I first introduced myself. When I left, I was genuinely sad to go. There are so many great people who work at Brilliant that I regret not being able to stay longer to get to know them better. The incredible nature of the people at Brilliant is something I wish I had known at the beginning of my experience. It took me some time to meet everyone and get a chance to talk with them. Since my internship was so short, I wish I had been more deliberate in getting to know people at the beginning so that I didn’t have to leave in the middle of getting to know them.

Looking back, I worked on a lot of little projects and got a taste of many of the different facets of Brilliant. While I was expecting a slightly different experience based on the job description, I am so glad that the experience I had at Brilliant went above and beyond my expectations. Since I was a data and evaluations intern, I anticipated doing primarily administrative tasks in an office setting. Instead, I got to be involved in much more. This led me to feel that I was a part of the Brilliant community rather than an intern stuck in an office.

At the beginning of my internship, I was unsure about it because I wasn’t sure what there was for me to do there. After a while, I realized that I needed to take initiative to find jobs for me to do if I wasn’t being assigned anything immediately. This is definitely something I wish I had realized sooner, and I think it will be a good lesson for my future experiences.

I truly will miss working at Brilliant Detroit, but there’s always the opportunity to volunteer there in the future – something I’m definitely eager to do! On to the next adventure 🙂

One thought on “Reflection | #6

Hi Maryellen,

Congratulations on completing your internship at Brilliant Detroit! It sounds like you were able to develop some important skills, learn more about what type of work you are interested in, and find a great mentor to help you throughout the experience. What kind of steps do you plan on taking to keep up your relationship with your previous supervisor? This could also be a great time to start thinking about how the tasks and duties you performed as an intern can be turned into a stellar part of your resume or LinkedIn profile.

The LSA Opportunity Hub is 100% here to support you in talking about your internship experience and crafting the best resume or cover letter, so feel free to stop by Hub drop-in hours throughout the fall to chat with one of our Hub coaches or give us a call to set up a virtual appointment! You can find more information about drop-in hours here: https://lsa.umich.edu/opportunityhub/students/drop-in-hours.html

Wishing you the best in the future!

– Danielle