Living in D.C. | #2

Like I said in my last post, I love Washington D.C. I think it is one of the most amazing cities in the world. When I was looking for cities to spend my summer in, D.C. was easily my first choice. Although I am not doing something in politics like I had originally planned, I am enjoying my internship and, more so, enjoying my time in D.C.

I have now been living in D.C. for roughly six months. I like to think I have a good feel for the city, where things are, and how things work. One of my favorite things about my internship this summer is that it is in a city where so many Michigan people come to. I have a good amount of friends who have also decided to spend their summer in D.C., and I really enjoy showing them around.

Seeing my friends react to the city for the first time takes me back to January when I was new to the city myself. Beyond loving D.C., I have come to realize that something that makes it such a great place is the kind of people it attracts. A city is only as fun as the people you’re surrounded by. And between friends from Michigan and friends I’ve met through my internship, I have loved seeing D.C. through new eyes.

One thought on “Living in D.C. | #2

Hi Daniel, What a fun post! I am totally living vicariously through you as DC is also one of my favorite cities! I love the size, the accessibility, and of course, all the great Michigan people 🙂

Where you end up working in a place (city and organization) you really love, it can really impact and sometimes even transform other parts of your life. This is amazing in some ways, and in some ways, it can overshadow. As you continue on with your internship with Gartner, it would be interesting to think about what you are enjoying about the actual work. For example, living and working in Ann Arbor is a complete dream for me, and sometimes I find it important to ask myself — would I love this work so much if I were in any other city? The answer is not good or bad, it is what it is, but it can be telling about how satisfied I am with my work. It’s a good gut check sometimes 🙂

I look forward to hearing more in your next post!
    Tyler