Moving to NYC! | Blog #1

Having the opportunity to move to New York City for the summer is something that I have always dreamed of, but never had the opportunity to do until now. Last summer, I had the incredible opportunity to intern in Nashville, TN, and, needless to say, living in Nashville is much different than living New York. I was far more nervous to take on a summer in New York City than I was to head to Nashville, as New York seemed like such a bigger world to me. To my surprise, however, I started adjusting extremely quickly and soon realized how accessible the entire city was. Now, I can happily say that I love living in New York City, and would immediately jump at the opportunity to return full time after graduating from the University of Michigan.

My experience getting to New York City was fairly smooth–my supervisor at NBCUniversal did a fantastic job keeping in touch and preparing me for my job, I was able to land a room in an amazing Manhattan location with one of my closest friends from school, and my dad took the time to drive me here from Cleveland, Ohio and spent some time getting to know the city with me. All that being said, I was still quite anxious to familiarize myself with the unknown and to leave the routine at home that I was just starting to fall back into.

Now that I have been in the city for a few weeks, I can honestly say that this experience has been one of the most rewarding I have had to date. I have been able to challenge myself on a daily basis, which has allowed me to discover how much I am truly capable of accomplishing. Furthermore, I have had the opportunity to be a stranger to a place with endless opportunities to explore–and that is truly a gift to any growing and curious mind. My advice to others would be to accept these challenges, even when they seem unfamiliar or uncomfortable, and allow yourself to enjoy all of the emotions that come with journeys outside of your comfort zone.

Jaime R

Programming Strategy Intern @ CMT/Viacom Media Networks

One thought on “Moving to NYC! | Blog #1

Hi Jaime, my name is Maggie. We’ve met before but it was a while ago so you may not remember. I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub, and I’m going to be following your blog posts to learn about your experience this summer!

I’m so glad you got to fulfill a dream of yours with this internship, and that you learned how much you love NYC! It sounds like you set yourself up well to have some familiar things to help you adjust to this unfamiliar place, like living with a friend and coming in with your dad.

You say that you have been able to challenge yourself and discover how much you are capable of–I’m so curious to know more! Can you say (maybe in a future blog post?) some of the specific things you’ve found challenging and how you worked through it, and what you learned?

Looking forward to hearing more!
    Maggie