Expectations | #2

When I first started my internship, I was under the impression that I would mostly be working in the office. I expected to attend events about once a week and spend the majority of my time doing research and some administrative tasks for the office staff. This has not been the case.

During just the first week of my internship, I was given the opportunity to:

• sit in on an event through the American Psychological Association on Asian women in psychology,
  • watch a House of Representatives Full Committee Markup for the Fiscal Year 2019 Commerce, Justice, and Science Appropriations Bill,
  • meet Representative Dan Lipinski when COSSA presented him with an award,
  • and attend the 2018 Daniel Patrick Moynihan Lecture on Social Science and Public Policy given by Dr. John Holdren, Science Advisor to President Obama.

I thought I would have been more overwhelmed by being thrown into such a hectic schedule right off the bat, but this was not the case. If anything, being so busy helped to speed up the process of acclimating to my internship, so I was able to move on to enjoying my time and making the most of it.

One thought on “Expectations | #2

Thank you for sharing, Catherine. I am glad to hear that your internship has broadened your initial thoughts about what kind of work you would be undertaking. Although much of today’s work is office oriented, it is important to seek opportunities to branch out for learning and professional development opportunities (and other fun stuff!). As you consider what you would like to do after graduation, it will be beneficial for you to consider your experience this summer and how much you have enjoyed taking on a variety of work and learning opportunities. Since you enjoy these opportunities, finding a place of work that offers such experiences will be better suited for you than those that stick to the typical “office work” format. In any case, it’s great to hear that you are enjoying your internship. I look forward to hearing more. – Jake