Great Mentors | #3

My bosses are great mentors as they help me learn more about the field of psychotherapy both theoretically and practically. They allow me to sit in on their therapy sessions to learn more about what psychotherapy is really like, and after their session is over they let me ask questions about the session and explain to me what they were doing. They also give me administrative tasks that will help me in the future when I become a psychotherapist so I can understand what the job entails. Because of the excellent mentorship of my two bosses, I will leave this internship with a holistic understanding of all the tasks a psychotherapist must commit to and will be prepared for my future career.

3 thoughts on “Great Mentors | #3

Wow, Hadi, it sounds like you’ve really found some excellent mentors and are learning a lot! Letting you shadow them and then ask questions later must be such a good way to understand the world of psychotherapy and why they do certain things when in session. Have you learned anything from them that was surprising, that you didn’t expect? If so, what was it?

I’m looking forward to your next post!

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I learned a lot of new techniques in psychotherapy that were surprising. The techniques used rely mostly on learning from the client first and leading them to arrive at conclusions rather than just telling them their problems and solutions. This is because it’s important for the client to understand their problem rather than just being told an easy fix. The client must understand the interaction between their various mental problems and their effects on their lives in order to be able to solve their own problems. Hope that made sense!

Thank you for sharing, Hadi! That’s really interesting. I never knew that this was a tactic that was used but it really makes sense why that is true. It’s great that you’re getting to watch therapists do this in action so you can see the various ways this tactic can be applied!