What Do You Do When You Only Have Two Weeks Left? | #5

I guess what you do is you start tagging along with whoever you can. It’s the start of my penultimate week here, and I still don’t have supervisors, I’m still just a floating entity within the organization, I have some tasks to be done, but still such a mountain of free time with which to do nothing. So I’ve started to ask coworkers what they need help with, what they need done for them, whether they want to show me anything. That’s how I ended up in a house we recently bought, the place shown in the photo above. That’s been the most interesting thing that I’ve been able to get into in these weird final weeks. Our organization occasionally renovates houses in the neighborhood as a way to mitigate and reverse blight and vacancy, and this house is the most recent one.

I’ve been able to get some time filled with the little work that remains, and I’ve been able to start using my time better now that things have settled down a little from the confusing transitions out by my supervisors. But there is still so little to do in the end, simply as a fact of the organization. What kind of work do you give an intern whose department is staffed by just himself and who only has two weeks left? I think anyone would struggle with finding an answer to that question. And I’ve accepted that this situation will not be remedied before I leave, that it could only be remedied if I were to stay along for another month or two, if/when a new economic development department gets hired, settled in.

So in other words I am ready to leave. I think circumstances have made it that way. I didn’t necessarily want to leave, at least before my supervisors left, and my organization certainly doesn’t want me to leave before the agreed-upon end date next week. But I am ready to leave, two weeks early.

2 thoughts on “What Do You Do When You Only Have Two Weeks Left? | #5

I find situations like these very interesting because it can become somewhat of a rarity in our collegiate lives to feel bored. I can definitely sympathize, having had jobs before with not nearly enough work and mad even worse by needing me to fake it to “look busy.” But I think you are doing the right thing by engaging with coworkers for more to do. A lot of people want respite from their own day-to-day. I also had a professor who said that when he was int he military he always tried to do the work for the person above him because they would really appreciate it and it freed them to do the work for the person of them. If you don’t find much progress though, I would try and just find that thing that you never have time to do before, and maybe find a way to integrate it in these last few weeks of your job.

Hi Adam, I know you’re now down to your final days by the time I got to respond to this post. Jared above makes such an excellent point. Who gets to be bored anymore? I’m not saying, “relish in the boredom! You’ll never get it again!” but it is a rarity. And it sounds like you’re really trying to make yourself as useful as possible. At any rate, I know you’ll leave the Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation with some strong references.

When you return to campus, I hope you’ll come visit us in the Hub. Our coaching staff can definitely help you think about how to position this experience and the circumstances around your supervisors’ departure. How you tell that story in an interview, cover letter, and even your resume and LinkedIn profile will be important.

Please do let me know how these finals days are – I’m curious to read your final post.