Bougatsa? Bougatsa. | #3

Bougatsa is a fantastic Greek pastry that is causing me mild distress. I received this food on one of the early days of my stay in Olynthos. Ever since I have been trying to get the sweet, sweet custard treat in my grasp again. I work 06:30 to 15:00 Monday – Saturday. The cafes in town stop making the pastry around 11:00 every morning. I am unable to get them after excavation. The cafe workers are also very sad whenever I come in asking for bougatsa after the hours it is unavailable.

I asked around to discover that the cafes open early enough for me to get one before work. I was finally able to get the coveted pastry a few days ago. The woman who sold it to me covered it in delicious powdered sugar and cinnamon. Yum. It was the perfect start to my morning. I ate the bougatsa with my friend on the fifteen-minute walk to the site. It’s the little things sometimes.

2 thoughts on “Bougatsa? Bougatsa. | #3

Alyssa,
    The title of your post made my day! I have so many fond memories of Bougatsa  And your post made me laugh out loud – getting to the café in time for bougatsa is a challenge, and so distressing! I’m glad that you’re appreciating the little things, and making time to pursue the small or big things that bring you joy. Are there other foods that have also struck your taste?

It’s clear that the folks at the café know you fairly well. I’d love to hear more about your interaction with the townspeople, how the transition to a new culture is going, and what else has been a challenge/success. Not sure what could beat getting bougatsa…

Look forward to your next update,
    Beth

Hi Beth,
    The bougatsa truly is lovely. I really like the feta and the stuffed peppers. Interacting with the townspeople is really nice. They are all so sweet. I don’t know much Greek so communicating past saying hello and thank you is a little tricky. I am trying to work on it, but six weeks is very quick to catch on to a language. I will continue to try my best.