Last three weeks | #4

As of now, I have two and a half weeks left before I move out of my GWU and finish my internship. It has definitely made me think about how to make the most of my remaining time.

First, more than everything, I have tried to develop my reputation as someone who works hard and is eager to do their job. I think I have done a decent job in this respect. I plan on asking my staff members for more projects and opportunities as I wrap up my time on the Hill. I also will ask to attend briefings, as I haven’t yet attended any.

Second, I want to do fun things with my roommates here in GWU. I have visited nearly all of the museums and attractions I have sought to visit, with the exception of a few such as the White House and the African American History Museum (which may have to come in the future), and places such as Theodore Roosevelt Island. I also want to check out more restaurants. I’ll have to be on the lookout for recommendations.

Third, I need to wrap up my search for an internship (as I am in the Michigan in Washington program this fall). The main problem I have is that there are only a few places that I have an interest in. By only applying for a handful, I may be creating an unnecessary risk. I am meeting people in these organizations to try and improve my odds though.

Jake

I am a rising senior studying Political Science at the University of Michigan, where I study American Politics and foreign affairs while enjoying all that Ann Arbor has to offer. This summer, I am interning with Congressman Fred Upton in his Washington D.C. office.

One thought on “Last three weeks | #4

Hi Jake,
    Wow only 2.5 weeks left? Time flies!
    Your intentionality in how you’re building your professional identity is admirable. Could you also ask your colleagues for feedback? How do they see you as a professional? That could be helpful in seeing if it aligns with how you hope/expect they see you! Great initiative on asking to take on any final projects and/or attend briefings – you’ve taken advantage of being involved in numerous ways this summer, and will have a lot of experience to speak to.

I’m curious, in your exploring of DC, have you got a sense of “local” spots?

Best of luck on your internship search for the fall! Would you be willing to share which you’re interested in/pursuing? Remember that the Hub is here to help – if you’d like to meet with any of the coaches virtually to review application materials, prep for an interview, etc please let us know!

Thanks,
    Beth