Moving Ahead #3

MSPICED is more than halfway done now and I can’t believe how fast the time has passed. I remember coming back on campus for the summer internship and having so many expectations and fears about how the next 10 weeks would go. By now, I can look back at those feelings and see that many of my worries were completely erased once I got support and advice from people in the lab. Being able to learn about statistical analysis on R Commander and the steps to writing a research proposal/paper have revealed to me how much actually goes into a research project. Even though I worked on research last year, I was still new and learning the ropes so much of the behind the scenes stuff of putting together a proposal and analyzing the data wasn’t significantly talked about. I enjoyed getting an in-depth look on how the entire procedure looks like but I am still contemplating about what research is to me. In my previous post I talked about how I wasn’t sure if research was for me yet and wanted to take more time to determine that. I guess I still enjoy research but I’m not sure if I can see myself doing it for years and years to come.

While I’m still thinking about that, we have finally gotten to the part in our study where we can code and possibly analyze what the data is showing. We just met up to determine a coding scheme so the entire team is on the same page when organizing the data. Since all of the data are questions kids have asked us about animals, there are many different answers we have to code. I actually like this part of research because it gets us closer to the results of all our hard work. At times, it does seem tedious to have to ask so many children questions and repeat the same procedure over and over again, but in the end, repetition makes the conclusion so much more reliable. I’m excited to see how this project will end and where it will help lead me to after this summer.

One thought on “Moving Ahead #3

Hey Arim! As a stats major, I feel like I understand so much of what you said. Repetition of the same experiment using different subjects is very important to find a more clear and confident answer. If you have any questions about any procedures or the kind of inference testing you need to do, you know who to ask!