#1 Arrival in D.C.

At no point did applying for and accepting an internship in Washington, D.C. feel real. It wasn’t until I got off the plane at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, having just flown for the first time, tasked with making my way to the city with two giant suitcases that it sunk in. I was really beginning a summer in D.C. Less than 24 hours later I was walking to my internship, trying to be sly about the fact that I was using google maps to get to the downtown office. This summer I am a research intern at the American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA), a non-profit which focuses on reforming higher-ed policy. I received this opportunity through The Fund for American Studies, an internship program which provides not only internship placement but professional development workshops, site briefings, and a supplemental course in economics and public policy at George Mason University. Although my schedule is already quite busy, I am excited about the atmosphere of the city. This is my first time living outside of Michigan, more than 45 minutes from home, and I love the independence this provides. Accepting the risk of sounding like a tourist, I’ll say it: I love riding the metro. Maybe it is because I have never lived in an area with a prominent public transportation system. Or maybe it is because I get really impatient sitting in traffic while driving. But taking the metro, walking downtown to work in my business-casual-borderline-professional, and working a 9-5 for the first time ever (I am used to 4pm-1am, thanks, MJR), makes me feel like I am experiencing the lifestyle you imagine when you think of a young professional living in a big city. While I still feel like this is simply a short trip, and not my life for 2 months, I am looking forward to what is to come this summer.

One thought on “#1 Arrival in D.C.

Stephanie,

My name is Josh Lee, and I am one of the coaches in the LSA Opportunity Hub. Myself and one of the Hub Interns will be reading and commenting on your blog. Thank you for this initial post! I’m glad to hear that you were able to find your way to the office – day 1 in a new city can be a really intimidating experience, so it’s wonderful that you were able to navigate that initial obstacle. I am really looking forward to reading about your experience this summer – I hope it is a fulfilling and rewarding one!

-Josh