Beginning of the Internship #1

I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to work at the Creature Conservancy in Ann Arbor. I’ve always been passionate about conservation and wildlife, but my love for understanding different communities and their connections to the grander scheme of conservation has grown during my years at U of M. That’s why I’ve gone from wanting to governmental/policy related work right out of college to wanting to work in environmental education first. The Creature Conservancy has given me an opportunity that includes the best of both worlds, experience in animal welfare and handling while also educating youth. Even more so, mostly kids from the Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor area, which will give me a chance to connect further with the community I have resided in for the last 5 years in a different way.

This opportunity drew me in greatly due to my love for the organization already. The Creature Conservancy has been rescuing animals since 2005 and continues to run as a environmental education non-profit for Ann Arbor and surrounding communities. Its a awesome example of the issues that surround getting animals for pets that should be left in the wild and a engine for changing the way kids see animals not loved but very important to the planet, such as spiders and possums. Further, I wanted a closer look at the complexities of how the conservancy balances two missions, animal welfare and education, as a non-profit. The environmental education internship was perfect for being able to understand both sides of the coin and get first hand experience in the challenges of environmental education and more so in education specifically.  I look forward to the weeks ahead of environmental education fun and being challenged in my own perspective of the best way to provide animal welfare to animals that cannot be released back into the wild.

One thought on “Beginning of the Internship #1

Hi Ashley!

My name is Beth Bodiya and I’m a Hub coach at the Hub. I, along with one of our Hub Interns, Jenny, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!

Thanks,
    Beth