Blog Post 3: SOS? part 2

You take the good with the bad.

This last weekend, I made a trip to Croatia for the World Cup finals, and almost witnessed the main square burn down after the first goal in the celebration frenzy. Flares burning, fireworks set off in the middle of the crowd, the air more smoke than oxygen. I definitely picked the right country to go to. Croatia lost the game, but the city celebrated like it won. Nothing but smiles on Croatian faces, and probably the best travelling weekend of my life.

In direct contrast was the week preceding it (the bad). My landlord tried to move someone into my room while I was still living there, claiming that I had not rented the room out, only the bed. He physically introduced the guy, who clearly also had no idea he was supposed to share a 20sqft room and had already paid the landlord rent. A few days after refusing to share the space, I had 800 euros stolen from my room while out on a business trip. Terrible, but somehow, it didn’t bother me as much as I thought it would. A few months ago, getting robbed like that would have been devastating, but since I’ve come to Munich, I’ve been through enough that nothing really phases me anymore. There was nothing I could do to prove it anyways, so I asked for an advance paycheck from my workplace and moved on. That was a huge lesson in personal growth, and puts a lot into perspective. It shows that I can go through trials and come out fine on the other side.