Food Memory at The Farm / #4

The Farm grows many different types of fruits and vegetables that frequently change. So far I have tried many new things like kohlrabi, garlic scapes, okra, and mizuna. It’s amazing to be able to try new and different vegetables, but also to see how they grow. How food grows and what it looks like on the plant is something I never think about when I’m eating. It is also incredible how delicious everything is here. Everything tastes completely different from conventional, store bought produce. The depth of flavor in every vegetable is profound. The most memorable food experience I have had at The Farm this far was when I took a bite of local, organic, fresh sweet corn. I was handed an ear of corn with the husk peeled back; the husk acted as my handle for the corn. I bit right into the raw corn and he kernels were so plump that flavor just exploded in my mouth. Not only was it by far the sweetest and most delicious corn I had ever had, but it was the most delicious raw vegetable I have ever eaten . It was so sweet that it tasted like candy. I was so amazed by how different it tasted from any corn I have had in the past that I will never forget that moment and experience. 

This is the delicious sweet corn that I was able to eat!

One thought on “Food Memory at The Farm / #4

Hello Kathleen,

The concern you shared about the lack of help on the farm is really thought-provoking. I can only imagine how much labor and time is needed for farming, so it’s sad to hear that there’s only a few full-time employees working for something so meaningful. This is why what you’re doing is so great! You are not only offering a helping hand, but can also be a part of important programs like the CSA, while gaining insights on farming and food production. Have you ever thought about getting involved in the U-M Sustainable Food Program? You may already heard of it, but there are campus farms, cultivating communities, learning labs and more, where you can do things very similar to what you’re doing right now, if that’s something you’ll be interested to engage in after the summer. Also, I wouldn’t have imagined raw corn to taste good, but the way you described it got me drooling!

I hope everything goes smoothly for you, and I look forward to reading your upcoming blogs!

Best,
    Jenny