Halfway Through | Week 4 in Skopje

It’s crazy to think that I’m just about halfway through with my internship. It feels like time has flown by, yet I simultaneously feel like I’ve lived here for months (probably because Skopje feels like home to me now). I recently wrapped up my first project, which was carrying out a mental health and stress coping workshop.

I am now moving forward with 2 new projects: the first is developing physician guidelines for sensitivity towards patients who are LGBTI+, and the second is developing Macedonian public policy to help eliminate intersectional discrimination in healthcare institutions.

I’ve established routine, and am really enjoying the completely separate life I live here versus in Ann Arbor or my hometown. The only thing that’s not routine are my weekend plans. Last weekend, Alex (another intern in Skopje) and I headed to Sofia, Bulgaria.

Sofia is without a doubt one of the most enchanting cities I have ever seen. I fell in love with the warmth of the people, the bustling streets and the quieter neighborhoods, the abundance of historical sites/cathedrals/buildings, and the cafe culture. We spent the weekend leisurely walking through the different areas of the city. Sofia had many other tourists, which has its pros and cons, but one major pro was the number of activities catered to tourists. We got to go on a free Bulgarian food tour and taste food from 5 local restaurants. Since Sofia is a more well-established Balkan city, we saw Starbucks and McDonalds for the first time since heading abroad! But of course, opted for local cafes and restaurants 🙂

If I had to pick another international place to live, I’d pick Sofia in a heartbeat. I know I’ll be back someday 🙂

One thought on “Halfway Through | Week 4 in Skopje

Halle,

Thanks for submitting another entry to your blog – your photos are stunning! (You should definitely submit them to the LSA Opportunity Hub Photo Contest so you can win some swag!)

I’m glad that you’ve found a comfortable routine during the workweek, and that you seem really comfortable and confident in your work. Do you find that you’re enjoying the process of planning and delivering these workshops more than the policy work, or vice versa? Doing some reflection on what you enjoy about work and what you can live without will go such a long ways in helping you determine the best option for your future decisions.

I’m also really happy to see that you’re taking time for yourself to go and explore the people, places, and things around you. Travel is such a remarkably effective way of building our own cultural competencies, and there are few things that are as wonderful as falling in love with a new city. I’m glad to hear that Sofia resonated so much with you, and that you want to go back – what a great goal to work towards!

-Josh