LIFE AS A FILM PRODUCTION INTERN | 3

(Forgive my hiatus, I’ve been writing every week, I just haven’t had the opportunity to log on and post my entries.)

The following is from the month of June + first week of July:

I wish I could say it was something straight out of a movie, where the naïve production assistant accidentally bumps into the hot shot actor on set and they fall madly in love and get married and have three kids, and then the naïve production assistant eventually becomes an award-winning writer and director. I WISH. (Although it’s too early to tell.)

My life has been a little different than that.

My responsibilities during pre-production (June) have mostly consisted of doing things in the office like

– making a huge production calendar on the wall ( I had to make it three different times. They didn’t end up using it.)

– emailing hair and makeup people, finding out about their availability for shoots

– scanning documents

– calling rental equipment companies and getting quotes

When I wasn’t in the office, I was going on runs – which I’ve come to learn is my favorite thing ever. (I think it has something to do with not being cooped up in an office for 8 hours). During these times, I’ve

-delivered scripts

-taken checks to companies

– bought paper from Staples

– gotten coffee for my superiors

My responsibilities during production, which started in early July, have included

– going on A LOT of runs. (Getting coffee, buying tables and chairs, taking trash out, etc.) Just yesterday, I met a production assistant named Dennis, who’s been in the business for YEARS. It was a really valuable experience getting to talk to him and gain insight about the film industry.

After having that chat with Dennis, I’ve come to a realization. I wish there were educational programs AKA classes at U of M that not only taught film students how to do the basics like write, direct, and produce, but taught us what life as a film major would be like after college. How do you sell a script? What’s good pay for a production assistant? How the hell do you find a job after graduation? These are common questions that fellow UM film colleagues and I think about on the daily. Yeah, life after college can be scary, but that’s because of the uncertainty. If students were educated on how to make it in the film industry after all of this was over, then maybe we wouldn’t be crying in the fetal position all of senior year. UM Film Faculty – a new class idea?

2 thoughts on “LIFE AS A FILM PRODUCTION INTERN | 3

Hi Nikole,

It’s great to have you back and blogging! I’m happy to hear that you’re settling into your internship and that you have the chance to do both important production work and some light errands to get you out of the office! I’ve been researching and talking to one of the interns here at the Hub about your thoughts on practical skills for SAC students and wanted to share some things! You might already know about some of these events, but it seems that SAC sometimes brings in film industry professionals for special events and workshops designed for students to think about their degree in professional terms. I found some pages on the SAC website where they list workshops and guest speakers for the year, which could be helpful when asking questions about life after college for film students: https://lsa.umich.edu/sac/undergraduates/guest-artists-scholars-at-sac/guest-artists–current-academic-year-.html. Informational interviews with professionals already in the film industry are a great way to learn more about the intricacies of a career in film.

If you’re interested in learning about some ways to conduct informational interviews, feel free to stop by Hub drop-in hours throughout the fall to chat with one of our Hub coaches or give us a call this summer to set up a virtual appointment! You can find more information about drop-in hours here: https://lsa.umich.edu/opportunityhub/students/drop-in-hours.html

Best of luck!

– Danielle

Thanks Danielle! I’ll be sure to check it out!