OAMI and SuccessConnects

Hi! I’m an intern at the Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives here at U of M. I’m a student cohort liaison for the SuccessConnects program. I work specifically on programs for students interested in STEM fields and Native American students.

The student scholars in the program are organized in cohorts of students with similar backgrounds, such as Detroit Promise scholars, M-Connects, and more. My primary task is to expand the SuccessConnects program for other Native American students and students who are underrepresented in fields related to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. My own experiences as an underrepresented student in science, in my case, physics and astronomy, allow me to provide unique input on how to create and develop a program that gives students in STEM the resources they need to succeed in terms of personal life, well-being, academics, and professional life. I’m also the co-chair of the Native American Student Association, and I’m excited to keep up this sort of outreach and retention.

Mattie

Class of 2020, Physics and Interdisciplinary Astronomy Co-Chair of the Native American Student Association Society of Physics Students Student Astronomical Society

2 thoughts on “OAMI and SuccessConnects

Hi Mattie!
    My name is Beth Bodiya and I’m a Hub coach at the Hub. I, along with one of our Hub Interns, Jenny, will be following along with your blogs this summer! Looking forward to learning about your internship experience!

Thanks,
    Beth

Hello Mattie!

I’m Jenny, a student engagement intern at the LSA Opportunity Hub and I’m excited to be following your blog posts this summer!

First of all, congratulations on your internship! SuccessConnects is such an important program, and it’s great that you could share your perspective and personal experience to fellow students. Is there something you really hope to achieve as a student cohort liaison? With the STEM field being so competitive, there must be much hurdles, especially for underrepresented students. I’d love to hear more of your experiences at OAMI, be it obstacles or successes, and I look forward to reading your next blogs!

Thank you,
    Jenny