At home, but still sticking out | #3

I have been here for some time now, and I really do enjoy the environment and the people I get to work with. The office is slow going in the summer because they mainly do auto shows and those don’t pick-up until the fall. We’ve mainly been doing a lot of proposals for jobs we might not even get. One of my coworkers says to not dwell on that because it just makes the job depressing – doing all that work for something that doesn’t result in anything. This advice is probably applicable in lots of different situations.  

On a lighter note, I greatly enjoy the people I get to work with. They are often brash, loud, and casual, but also welcoming, encouraging and knowledgeable. Even though I am a soft-spoken person, being around these kind of people makes me feel at home. They’re a lot of jokes and a simple “yo” to answer a phone call, but when it comes down to it, are professionals. Every day in the office, even if it is slow, is a fun day in the office.  

One interesting thing about having worked here for a little over a month now is that I have yet to see everyone in the office at the same time. Someone is always out, be It on a business trip, vacation, or they’re just working from home. Even though I haven’t seen everyone together, I think I have at least met everyone. Of our office, not counting me, there are two women who work here, and one of them is our Office Manager. This industry, working in an aspect of technical theatre is not one full of women.  That is something I expected coming in. Even working in the shop, when we have the local union come in there are very few women.  

While I was aware of this in my periphery the office environment of seeing this everyday does bring it more to light. However, I don’t feel any particular way about it. Being an Asian American woman in this industry, and frankly a lot of industries that I’m interested in pursuing, I have rarely seen people representative of those identities I hold. Perhaps it’s something upsetting, but maybe I’ve just become numb to it. It’s not as though I’m mistreated, or anything, it, at least for me, is about seeing someone like yourself succeed in a setting where you don’t really see that. Like I’ve said, going in I had no idea what PRG was about, and maybe in part that’s because this isn’t a field I’ve seen very many Asian American people pursue.  

One thought on “At home, but still sticking out | #3

Hi, Emily. I’m happy to hear you’re reflecting on what makes you feel “at home”. It’s also important that you’re thinking about challenges you may foresee in this environment (and industry, in general). I’m curious if you’ve considered connecting to women in other organizations that hold your identity.

At the Opportunity Hub, we’re ramping up our mentorship efforts so students can connect with alumni in their field of interest who may have advice on navigating similar situations. I’d encourage you to reach out to Jamie Monville, Mentorship Manager (monville@umich.edu).

At this time, I’d also like to introduce you to Uzma Anwar. Uzma will be following your internship until August. Best of luck to you!