Blog 6 – Going Home to Michigan

I only have a few weeks left in New Haven before I go back home to Michigan. Then I’m back preparing for the fall semester at the University of Michigan. The end of summer party is already planned and everyone has the end date in mind. It makes me sad when I think about going home because I’m not really ready to let go of all the people I’ve been with all summer.

This summer is definitely not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a lot of office work and not very much person to person interaction. It is the opposite of what I thought it was going to be. I run around the campus of Yale day after day. I think I might know it better that the campus at the University of Michigan now. I talk to the participants, the supervisors, the directors, and to the hundreds of people that work at Yale.

Some of the Operations Coordinators have been here before and returned the following year. Returning next year is something that I would definitely consider for next year. It was really trying at times with the long hours and dealing without air conditioning but it is something that I wouldn’t give up for the world. I know that I will stay in contact with the people I’ve met for a long time and I feel just as close to them as the friends I have in college.

I will also miss the east coast because it is one of a kind. It’s really different in that there are so many states close together and so many things to do in one area. I can get on a train and go to New York City for the day or go explore a different state like Rhode Island for the beaches. There’s a lot of freedom in that, whereas in Ann Arbor we only have the amtrak which is expensive and selective in destinations.

I’m glad that I came to New Haven knowing no one and coming out with a really supportive group of people that acts like a family for the last three months. I assumed that I would make friends but I didn’t know that we would be together as much as we do. We’re together in and out of the office. I’m really happy I took the leap and applied for this position because I wouldn’t want my summer any other way.

My Name Tag
The view from my dorm at Jonathan Edwards

One thought on “Blog 6 – Going Home to Michigan

Hi Delaney,

Congratulations on a successful internship! It sounds like the bittersweet feeling of heading home after a great experience is starting to take hold. Now that your internship is coming to a close, this could be a great time to start thinking about your plan for how you’re going to reflect and learning this experience. I would suggest creating a LinkedIn if you do not already have one, and then connecting with some of the people you have met this summer. These people can become an important part of your professional network! You could also use this time to start thinking about the variety of tasks you’ve done this summer, like juggling multiple requests at once, and begin crafting bullet points for your resume or parts of your cover letter.

The Opportunity Hub is 100% here to support you in talking about your internship experience and crafting the best resume or cover letter, so feel free to stop by Hub drop-in hours throughout the fall to chat with one of our Hub coaches or give us a call to set up a virtual appointment! You can find more information about drop-in hours here: https://lsa.umich.edu/opportunityhub/students/drop-in-hours.html

Best of luck and have a great rest of the summer!

– Danielle