Grateful, Grateful, Grateful | #4

Home Away from Home

Tomorrow will mark two months that I have been living and working in New York City. I wasn’t too nervous about living in such a big city because I had visited quite a few times before. I already felt comfortable using public transit and was lucky enough to know a handful of locals before even arriving. Yet, visiting New York City and living in New York City are two very different experiences. When people ask me how I like living in such a big city, I always say that I do, and that’s the truth. When I’m not working, I’m never bored. There are always so many things for me to do. I’ve enjoyed exploring the many different parks, museums, and free concerts.

However, I’ve also learned that everything I do in the city takes a lot more planning. For example, if I need to go grocery shopping, I need to have a really thorough list and usually have to have all of the items in order in which they can be found in the store. People move quickly in the grocery stores here, and get frustrated with you if you stop for too long to look for your items. I also have to make sure to grab my backpack and reusable bags. I’ve found this is a much easier way to transport my groceries. The first time I was walking home with my groceries, one of the disposable bags started breaking, so now I’ve learned to bring my own. I also have to plan out the right time of day to go. It’s never a good idea to go in the middle of the day when it’s really hot outside since I am walking home. And right after work is one everyone seems to be going. I’ve found the early in the morning or late at night is usually the best time. Even though that aspect of living in the city seems inconvenient in comparison to what I am used to living in Ann Arbor, I am thankful for such an authentic New York City experience.  

Mentors

The professor that is the director of the ROSES program has definitely become a mentor to me. It is clear that it is important to her to take on this role with all of her research assistants. She has taught me a lot about the importance of Psychology research and the substantial impact it can have on society. Her dedication to fighting for and protecting the rights of children has inspired me to continually seek out ways my academic studies can promote social equality. She has also taught me a lot about how complicated community based research can be. We’ve been able to discuss ethical concerns and how to ensure that this study in particular is always girl-centered and responsive to their unique needs.

I’ve also been able to spend a lot of time with some of the graduate students who are working on the research study. They’ve been able to offer really valuable insights into the process of preparing your application for PhD programs and which programs most closely align with our shared interests. It’s also exciting to think about the ways in which we may collaborate on academic work in the future.