Faults Within the System | #3

Part of my internship includes doing research and I think (I am incredibly indecisive) this may be my favorite part. I can spend hours looking up contracts the state of Michigan has with the MDOC. As it turns out, prison is a very, very profitable industry (surprise).

I’m doing better with the prison jargon now. The letters, however, are very specific and individualized so I find myself asking my supervisor for assistance frequently. Each case teaches me how to respond to the next one. There have been many letters on health care and transfer/security inquiry more so then others. There are so many hoops prisoners have to jump through to get their medical care. Sometimes it’s just too late.

Same goes for transfer inquiries. I’ve learned that MDOC tends to house prisoners based on availability and bed space rather then security level. For example, a prisoner who should be at a level 2 facility could be at level 5 maximum security facility or segregation, simply because they have no where else to put him (there is only one female prison). This could be a prisoner on a minor drug case who in reality, is no threat to the public. Now that he’s secluded from social interaction, he could very well suffer mentally and emotionally and end up with more problems then he had going in.

2 thoughts on “Faults Within the System | #3

Hi Azhar,

Wow – you are teaching me so much about the prison system in Michigan! Clearly, that goes to show how much you are learning, and it’s impressive that you’re able to communicate certain understandings so clearly in your posts. Thank you!

You mentioned going to your supervisor frequently, which, I’m sure you know, is super common. I’m assuming that by your going to him/her often that you have comfortable relationship with that person. It’d be a great professional development opportunity to consider doing an information interview with your supervisor to learn more about his/her path to the current work being done. That can be so beneficial in informing and exposing you to different ideas about career paths in your areas of interest. He/she might also be able to connect you with other individuals to continue to grow your own network. UM has some great resources about informational interviewing and building your network, and if you have any questions that I might be able to respond to, please feel free to send them my way!

Hi Tyler,

I sort of got that out of the way in the first few days. I’m a very curious person and my supervisor is very open so I was able to get a lot of information.

Thanks,
      Azhar