Office Manager

As the August primaries draw closer the representative I work for intensifies her work in-district. She knocks doors, talks to constituents one-on-one, and hosts town hall meetings for large groups of people. Most of our team goes with her, because I work another job over three hours away from the district I was chosen to stay behind and manage the office. Each day since the first of July I have been the only member of our team working in Lansing.

For the most part things have remained the same. I answer calls, sort the mail, and manage constituent complaints or concerns. However, now I cannot rely on guidance from our constituent relations director before I take action on an issue. The independence has been amazing, but a little frightening. I love being able to take control of my day and to do things at my own pace, but finding solutions to life-altering problems for grown adults can be daunting. I am gradually becoming more confident in my role, but I do appreciate that our coordinator is just a text away if I need any assistance.

One thought on “Office Manager

Hi Mary. Thank you for sharing. Independence in the work place can be both freeing and anxiety inducing! As you progress professionally, you will find that you will be more and more independent of others when it comes to decision-making. Of course, you will have coaching and support from your colleagues and leaders; but you will be tasked with taking charge. I am glad to hear that you have found a comfort level with working independently. It will serve you well as you move on from this internship. By taking on these challenges now, you will be ahead of the game when you get into your first professional role after college. I hope that you continue to find challenging and rewarding opportunities during your internship. Take care. – Jake