Halfway| #3

With a little over a month left in South Dakota, it really is crunch time to finish up my projects and meet my goals. I can’t believe how fast this summer has gone, and I can’t believe how much there is left to do before I head home.

Over the past 7 weeks, I have learned so much and worked so hard to further Xanterra’s sustainability projects and efforts. Through my projects, daily work and tedious auditing, I feel like I am contributing positively to their initiatives and learning so much myself!

In addition to my engaging and interesting work, my supervisor has also helped me to grow and learn. His passion for the environment is unlike anyone’s I have met. He is humble in what he knows and eager to share with those interested. His kindness and true fervor for sustainability makes others around him practice sustainable habits, even when they don’t usually care. Through this experience, I have also learned how to be an advocate for the environment by leading silently. He has also shown me that advocating for the environment isn’t always fun. That sometimes it means turning the compost in 90 degrees (a smell you never want to smell). Or sorting through trash to separate compostables and recyclables, or even logging how many gallons of gas we purchased in the last 6 months. It isn’t always flashy and fun, but it is all important.

I have discovered so much about the environmental science field in the past 7 weeks, and can’t wait to see what my last 4 weeks hold!

And now here are some pictures from my recent Black Hills adventures!

3 thoughts on “Halfway| #3

I am loving the pictures, Lydia! So pretty. I’m also happy to hear you have learned so much from your supervisor. It sounds like he may be an important professional connection as you continue to grow in your studies.

At this time, I would like to introduce you to Uzma Anwar. Uzma will be following your internship until August. Best of luck to you!

Hi Lydia!
    It is nice to e-meet you. I can’t wait to read about everything you do for the last few weeks!