The Beginning | #1

I worked in the city of Saugatuck while in high school and fell in love with the town. I also spent the past couple of summers working on Mackinac Island, so the prospect of spending my summer stuck in an office building in a busy city was not a good fit for me. I wanted to enjoy one more summer in a beautiful town along the coast of Lake Michigan. Unfortunately, this severely limited my options, but when I saw a posting on Handshake for an internship at Saugatuck Yacht Club, I figured it was worth applying. I really wasn’t sure what to expect. Because I was studying abroad during the application and interview process, I never had the chance to meet the people interviewing me or tour the facilities. I knew it was a gamble, but the interviewers were adamant about making this internship a fulfilling experience for me so when they offered a position, I accepted.

This summer I will be the Event Management Intern at Saugatuck Yacht Club. My responsibilities are primarily managing club rentals and planning weekly events. I’m very excited because this job will allow me the autonomy to plan my own events and gain crucial insight into the world of event planning. However, this freedom and independence also make me nervous because I know so little about the club that it may be difficult to jump right into a position that requires me to work very intensively with the members and community. Regardless, I am optimistic about this position and believe it will be an awesome experience to learn new skills and improve existing ones.

2 thoughts on “The Beginning | #1

Ellie,

My name is Josh Lee, and I am one of the coaches in the LSA Opportunity Hub. Myself and one of the Hub Interns will be reading and commenting on your blog. Thank you for this initial post! It sounds like you have a good idea of what sorts of opportunities you would like from your internship, so I am really looking forward to reading about your experience this summer – I hope it is a fulfilling and rewarding one!

-Josh

Hi Ellie! My name is Shaina and I’m an intern at the Hub. Thank you so much for sharing about the beginning of this exciting experience! I’m extremely happy to hear that you found an internship that excites you and fits your passions. But it also is okay to be nervous about the internship as well as your nerves may can lead to a great learning experience. Have you considered ways to learn more about the club while also being independent in the job? From your interview experience it seems that your supervisors and colleagues will be great resources to consider utilizing! I’m curious to find out how you have been enjoying the work and if this is a company you would want to work for in the future. I’m excited to continue reading about your amazing experience with the Saugatuck Yacht Club as an Event Management Intern!