Week 1-Settling In

I am thrilled to say that I am officially in England starting my internship. Reality still hasn’t hit yet (someone pinch me please!) There was a slight bumpy start with finding the accomodations and getting settled in but everything started to pan out by the end of the first week.

I found out about this opportunity from my trip duirng spring break, the “London Access Opportunity”, through the Barger Leadership Institute and the LSA Opportunity Hub. In the eight days of tight schedules meeting with alumni and learning different stories, the shadowing day stood out the most. Myself and another student on the trip took a train up to Manchester and long story short, I loved the museum so I had to apply. Four and a half months later I’m back in England. It’s funny too because I wasn’t sad that our trip was over and we had to leave back in February. I had this sort of feeling that I would be back soon….and here I am. What I also learned from the London Access Opportunity was that I needed to embrace the unknown. This was the kind of lesson that I learned from the Access Opportunity and I now carry it with me as my core mantra into this internship.

It’s cool that the museum staff knew that I am very much interested in Education, so the they wanted to cater the internship to my interests. I really appreciated this consideration. The first couple of days of the internship included meeting every single department in the museum and getting to know their specific work in the museum. We [people who visit these museums] certainly do not give enough appreciation for all of the work that goes into facilitating these enormous buildings full of history and really cool stuff. At this particular museum, they are super conscious about the ‘visitor’s experience’.  The staff is really sweet and they understand the struggles of coming into a completely new area and culture that they make sure they are accommodating as possible-which means the world to me.

I really am so blessed to have this opportunity and I can’t wait to see what’s in store for these next five weeks. I am going to embrace as much of the unknown that I can

Cheers!

-Jessica S.

2 thoughts on “Week 1-Settling In

Jessica, so excited that you were able to make it back to London and that you were welcomed with open arms! It sounds like the staff are accommodating to both new interns and visitors coming from all around the world. Enjoy your time and don’t hesitate to email if there are any bumps along the road that I can help out with. 🙂

Best,
    Jenny

Hi Jessica,

It’s great to hear that you’re settling in and starting to get to know the museum! What an awesome connection for you to have visited the museum first as a guest and now to be on the other side of it and help make the guest experience as great as it was when you visited. I love the mantra of embracing the unknown! I hope you continue to use it throughout your time interning abroad.

Best wishes!

– Danielle