Research respect | #4

Developmental psychology research is filled with a vast range of different types of people. Principal investigators, post-docs, fellows, associates, graduate students, research assistants all combine to produce an eclectic mix of intellectual advancements in the field. What makes the area truly intriguing is that every individual is undoubtedly involved and thoroughly absorbed with their research and the questions it seeks to answer.

In my time over the summer internship, I’ve found a 4th year graduate student that I respect and admire rather than a mentor, per se. The internship program paired me with a 2nd year graduate student that requires running studies on the weekend. Because I won’t be available to run every weekend study, I offered to assist with any administrative tasks needed in the office. Instead of administrative tasks, I began running studies with the 4th year grad student, Julie, during the times that I was available.

Julie is honestly a perfect match to me when it comes to study and research interests. Her work deals with 3-5 year old children using eye-tracking equipment and analysis of linguistic and conceptual development. Her study design is thorough, articulate, and thought out. I find the project to be the most riveting I’ve ever worked on.

Personality wise, she is understanding, quirky, and really wants interns to grow from this experience even if its just for the summer. I respect her work ethic, the way she treats everyone in the lab, her intellect, and most importantly her research. She has given me insight and advice to flourish in the field which may be the most valuable takeaway from my internship experience.