Revived Interest| #4

Last week was special. This year, the Society for Psychologists and Philosophers was hosting their annual meeting here in Ann Arbor. The president of this organization was one of the principal investigators in the internship. We were encouraged by our respective PI’s to visit some of the sessions SPP was hosting, but I didn’t need anybody to try to persuade me. One of the reasons why I chose to pursue psychology was to learn how to merge empiricism and moral philosophy. When I looked I at the schedule for the program and all the topics they were planning to discuss were right up my valley. In addition, they were inviting people who were spearheading their field. There was no way I was going to miss this opportunity.

The entire experience was nerve stimulating. It was as every bit as sophisticated, stimulating, and informative as I thought it would be. It was really an invaluable experience because it gave me broad picture of the status psychology and philosophy are at and the direction both are heading. The ideas that were discussed were fresh and relevant and provocative. I’m glad attended because before I was beginning to think that there really that much left to explore. I read so much of the topic I’m interested in that I felt that every new book I read was simply telling me what I already knew but just with different words. Now, I realize that there are so many more questions that could keep me busy for a lifetime.

One thought on “Revived Interest| #4

Hi Onyul – Sounds like the conference was a really enriching experience! I’m so glad you had the opportunity to attend as part of your internship. Even more, it’s great to hear that the presentations and conversations sparked new questions and ideas for you at the intersection of psychology and philosophy. I’m curious: what are some of the big questions that you’d like to take up in your own research or study? I hope you get the chance to debrief with your P.I. and maybe even think about future opportunities for you to present.

-Kate