#1. What was it that drew me to working with Mariachi Femenil Detroit?

Navigating different spaces at the University of Michigan, speaking about each other’s identities, and really exploring what makes me myself, I learned that something I take great pride of is my culture. However, as I looked into the activities that I invested my time into, I realized I was not giving as much time to learning more about my cultural practices. Therefore, when I came across Mariachi Femenil Detroit last year, I knew that I wanted to work with them to develop a better understanding of the Mariachi tradition and its relationship to my hometown, Southwest Detroit.

Since their start in 2016, Mariachi Femenil Detroit has been a trailblazer in the Mariachi musical world, empowering women to be a part of the historically male dominated genre. Not only have they blessed dozens of clients with their musical talents but they have dedicated time to serve the community through toy drives, community sponsored events, donating instruction time, and much more. Just being able to see this musical entity uphold a beautiful part of my culture and work to better the community, I knew that I wanted to be a part of that, even if it was just for a summer.