#2 My Internship

My internship this summer is at the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. ACTA is a non-profit which promotes academic freedom, accountability, and excellence. I was drawn to this opportunity because I have long been interested in education policy, particularly educational affordability. Higher education is becoming so important in today’s society, yet also increasingly expensive. The project which I will be working on, ACTA’s What Will They Learn? project focuses on the educational quality that students receive, which is important as higher education costs continue to rise. The guide rates schools based on how many of ACTA’s 7 core subjects are required: Composition, Literature, Foreign Language, U.S. History, Economics, Mathematics, and Natural Science. My involvement in this project has provided the opportunity to gain insight into another aspect of higher education. Each day I review the course catalogs of on average 3-5 schools, so I get to learn a lot about schools all around the country. I am looking forward to continuing to learn about the different curriculums and courses at colleges and universities. This experience is also proving to be helpful in determining what type of job I would like in the future. Although I like my office, the people I work with, and the material I review is interesting, I now know that research might not be the best fit for me. I am glad to have taken this internship because I would argue that discovering what you would not like to do is just as, if not more, valuable than just doing things you like

.

One thought on “#2 My Internship

Hi Stephanie! My name is Shaina and I’m an intern at the Hub. Thank you for sharing about your experience thus far at the American Council of Trustees and Alumni, it sounds amazing! Living in a big city is definitely a big adjustment though. I applaud your bravery to head into a new city having never been there before to tackle such an amazing internship focused on higher-ed policy.

Having such independence can be scary, but from your writing you seem to be handling it well and enjoying the experience of a young professional working in a big city! Have you considered connecting with your fellow interns and colleagues who have more experience in the city? They may be a valuable resource and give great advice on how to adjust to the city life!

It is important as well to remember that your living experience is part of your learning as well! What you achieve outside of your 9-5 job can be just as valuable. Have you considered setting a goal for somewhere you might want to explore in the city? I’m excited to continue reading about your amazing experience with the American Council of Trustees and Alumni!