#4 Looking Forward

I am participating in the Engalitcheff Institute on Comparative Political and Economic Systems, a program sponsored by The Fund for American Studies. In addition to my internship and course at GMU, I have the opportunity to participate in briefings and events at many different organizations. I have attended briefings at The Federal Reserve, The U.S. Department of State, The United States Capitol Building (I was able to go on the house floor- a dream come true), The U.S. Department of Commerce, and The Embassy of Great Britain. I am so fortunate to have experienced these events that I would not have been able to otherwise. Yes, it is always cool to go through security and get an official-looking government visitor badge, and to be able to say that I have been to these agencies, but the best part of the experience for me has been the insight I have gained into careers at these organizations. I have always been interested in working for government at some level, and that desire has been cemented. Last summer I interned in the district office of Congresswoman Dingell, and really enjoyed the experience of interacting with constituents and seeing how policies directly impact people. This summer I decided to intern at a non-profit to gain a different kind of experience. One of the things I have disliked is how my job feels isolated and separate from things that are going on in the world of politics. Realizing this has made me rethink the career path I was considering over the past semester. I am really interested in criminal justice reform, and was considering law school after graduation to pursue criminal law. However, the experience of being outside the sphere of politics and policy coupled with visits to government agencies has created a desire to be involved with government in the future. I am thankful that this internship experience has made me realize that I may be more interested in the overall policies that impact issues such as education and criminal justice, rather than actually practicing law.

2 thoughts on “#4 Looking Forward

Wow, Stephanie! Awesome to hear how you’re really getting to participate in so many different ways in your internship. It sounds like you get to explore so many amazing places and your work is also really fun.

It’s great that you are getting a sense of the city and learning more about your interests in the field. It sounds like you have a good sense of awareness in your work and realize that while this might not be the perfect location for you the city brings upon many advantages, so keep on moving forward and learning from it along the way. Overall it sounds like you’re taking full advantage of all the different opportunities in your internship.

Now that you know you are interested in the overall policies, I will be interested to find out what types of careers and organizations you would like to work for! You have so many great resources available to you in D.C. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your internship and excited to hear more about it!

Stephanie, your pictures are incredible! Make sure to post them in the Opportunity Hub photo contest to win some free swag!