A New Family in the National Forum

At the start of my internship for the National Forum on Higher Education, I was a little on edge (as I always am with the start of new jobs). Being in a new setting always makes me a bit uncomfortable, and when I’m uncomfortable with people I don’t know I tend to be overly cordial. My first few days I would walk into our office in the School of Education in the morning and awkwardly greet everyone, still struggling to remember names. However, I feel as though I’m beginning to find another space on campus in which I’m welcomed and appreciated.

My manager was very welcoming, and I never felt as though she saw me as an employee. I felt like a colleague she trusted with the work that she gave me. The same goes for everyone in the office–everyone treats each other with understanding, care, and attempt to bridge gaps between each other when they appear. After finishing my tasks and emailing the products to my manager, whether they’re extensively long excel documents or just a template for a cover letter, she always thanks me for the work and lets me know that I did a great job. People working in the National Forum on Higher Education strive to support not only the communities that they aim to empower through their work and research in the field of higher education, but also the people that are actually working on these projects. I feel as though I’m going to become quite comfortable in my new work environment.

One thought on “A New Family in the National Forum

Hi Alex, my name is Hannah Lozon and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I will be following your blog posts this summer and I look forward to hearing more about your experience at the National Forum on Higher Education. So far you sound like you’ve really come into a phenomenal organization, and your manager sounds terrific. There’s actually some research by the Gallup organization that your relationship with your supervisor is one of the most important elements of happiness and wellbeing in your life. We spend more time at work than anywhere else (well, those of us working full-time anyways 🙂 ), so it makes sense. Glad you’ve got a good one. I hope you’ll take the opportunity to let her know how you appreciate her style as the summer progresses.

I look forward to hearing more about your experience in the weeks to come.