First Day: #1

Starting a new internship is kind of like playing an astro-mine-field video game. You’re hurtling through space all of a sudden, with all of these comets flying toward you, and you’re just flailing your little arms as fast as possible trying to swat them all away from your face. Delegate! Accomplish! Send! Draft! Delegate! Clarify! All of these small tasks in a language that you don’t understand feel like the most urgent things in the world.

The most important thing for me has been to learn how to take it easy, and not expect myself to instantly be a good worker and know how to do things on Day 1. You may not do your best for the first week or so, but you’ll try your best. And eventually, you’ll improve that trying process until you are doing your best.

Life on a campaign is full of acronyms. Just ask what they mean, don’t pretend like you know when no one would possibly know what NGP was without having been on a campaign before.

One thought on “First Day: #1

Hi Hannah, my name is Maggie Davidson and I work at the LSA Opportunity Hub. I’ll be following your blogs to learn about your experience this summer!

Wow, it sounds like you’re dealing with a lot, Hannah! That’s definitely great advice to ask questions and try your best. You’re right–nobody who hadn’t worked a campaign before would know all those acronyms, and you shouldn’t feel bad for not knowing them! Another intern whose blog I read said that they learned a valuable lesson to just ask questions and not worry about bothering people or looking stupid. It sounds like you’re doing that, too!

Til next time,
    Maggie