#5 / Durham

Last week, I traveled with my fellow co-workers to Durham, North Carolina, where the organization was holding its yearly forum. At the forum, members of the organization had a chance to convene, connect, and exchange ideas and advice about a wide range of issues that they are working on. The forum has been the main focus around the office during the last couple of weeks, as everyone contributed in order to iron out last-minute nuances and make sure everything would go according to plan. I was constantly inspired by the hard work and dedication of my co-workers, who all contributed countless hours prior to and during the event, making it easy for me to follow suite. The forum itself was an amazing experience. Here, I was given the opportunity to meet some professionals who are doing amazing work in the juvenile justice field. During the three days, I was able to listen to panels of experts discussing an array of topics such as the school-to-prison pipeline and restorative justice practices. In addition, I engaged in meaningful conversations that challenged some of my prior knowledge on juvenile justice issues and left me with a whole new host of questions and curiosities. Overall, the forum experience was another example of how valuable this internship has been for me, as I left Durham with an even deeper interest and passion about juvenile justice and a better understanding of all the work that needs to be done.

3 thoughts on “#5 / Durham

Noah, I am just so excited every time I read your posts to hear about all the amazing things you’re learning and fantastic people you’re meeting. It sounds like this experience was really eye-opening for you and helped you to learn in new ways about the field of juvenile justice that you are so passionate about. I would be so interested to hear what those new questions and curiosities are that you mentioned!

Maggie

Hi Maggie! The questions and curiosities I was left with were mostly based on a new and deeper understanding of many issues in the field. For example, one particular issue that I discussed a lot was youth who are transferred to adult prisons. As my understanding of the issue and the realities that face many kids grew, I became increasingly bothered by the unwillingness of some of the public and politicians to view a kid as a kid and to not place a permanent label on a youth based on one mistake they made during their teenage years. Additionally, it is a common tendency for some public officials to think of some kids as beyond rehabilitation based on a crime they committed. This tendency often leads to the exacerbation of the youth’s problems and ignores the underlying causes to the youth’s actions along with treatment that could help rehabilitate them.

Wow, no wonder you’re thinking so much about these things and feeling very bothered by the issues. It is really terrible the way that some kids’ lives are ruined by decisions they made before their decision-making ability was even fully formed, and sometimes even things outside their control. The upside is that there are people like you who care deeply about these people’s experiences and about making a better life for them. The more people who care who are doing things like you are to learn about it and immerse yourself in the world that can make a difference, the better we will all be!

Maggie