Blog #1 – New Girl

Interning for a congressional office is something that has always drawn my attention. However, I knew I didn’t want to spend another summer in DC just yet. Thus, interning at my congresswoman’s district office seemed like the perfect solution.

When I arrived, I learned there were already seven other interns who knew the ropes. I was the new girl and it was my first time interning for a legislator. I knew I had to learn a lot, and I needed to learn it fast. I spent my first day at the front desk, answering phone calls and shadowing the other interns as they completed various tasks. I had to walk the fine line between asking too many questions and making sure every constituents’ request or concern was handled in an appropriate and efficient manner. I leaned on the other interns a lot that first day because I prioritized making sure the job got done correctly over my own hesitancy at seeming like I didn’t know what I was doing.

I hope to gain new skills from this internship as well as connections in the political sphere. I want to work behind-the-scenes politics in the future, so this internship is a perfect way for me to gauge whether this career path is the one for me. While I don’t want to run for office myself, I do want to have influence over policy or at the very least the ability to help people interpret and navigate the policies that we have in place. I hope interning in this congressional office will help me learn more about the different job opportunities that are out there for me in the future.

3 thoughts on “Blog #1 – New Girl

Hello Zainab – My name is Kate, and I’m a Coach at the Opportunity Hub. I will be following along with your blogs this summer alongside Hub Intern Zane. We’re looking forward to reading about your experiences on Capitol Hill!

Hello Kate, thanks for the message! Just to clarify, I am interning at the district office in Southfield, Michigan.

Hi Zainab – Thanks for that clarification – I realize now I misread your initial post!